}

Sunday, July 25, 2010

SSIC LOC Layers of Light

What a fun we are having at Stamping Sisters in Christ Challenge this week!  This weeks challenge is brought to us by Peggysue , the scripture is

"No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a vessel or puts it under a bed, but sets it on a lampstand, that those who enter may see the light."  Luke 8:16



Peggysue has challenged us to  make a Votive Holder or a card/project depicting a candle; here are two examples  -  the first one is here and the second one here.

Now I have to say, I have never made a Votive before and was highly amused (and secretly skeered) at the thought of it bursting into flames when lit - none of this battery operated candle for me! LOL!  I like to 'walk on the wild side!' LOL!

I found a candle in a glass cylinder and using patterned vellum, cut it to size, allowing for a punched border at the top - I used the Stampin' Up Eyelets Border Punch


I then used the Layers of Color Delicious Dots Art Stencil for the paper piercing above and below the butterflies from the Butterfly Collector Clear Art Stamps.  I have used StazOn - and am hoping it does! LOL!  I finished off with a row of white braid around the lower edge - this helps keeps it keep its shape as well as adds to the look! 

I have given the scripture Peggysue has shared with us a lot of thought this week - what does it mean to hide our lights?  I think it is easier to do than we realise, in this day and age when we are so conscious of not offending anyone with our beliefs, it is easy to go to the other extreme and not share anything rather than be open and just share from the heart - for me, hiding my light is...not living what I believe as well - it is one thing to share verbally but totally another to share though our lives.  Whether we like it or not - people are watching us, those of us who profess to believe and be 'of the faith' are instantly 'under the spotlight' in the eyes of those around us - how many of us have had people jump at us the minute we do something that they don't think fits with us being a Christian - how many times do we watch others in the same way!?!?

This is all very thought provoking for me - this week I am determined to make sure my light is not under a bushell or cover, but to let it shine! 

We can't wait to see all of YOUR creations! You may enter as many times as you'd like! ** Please link us to your actual card/project post(s), not just to your blog or gallery, by 11:59 pm PDT (GMT -8) on Saturday, July 31st.  Make sure you pop over and see the other DT's creations, you know there is plenty of inspiration from these talented girls

*Lisa Chris * Cindy * Grace * Peggysue * Randi * Miejse* Rebecca *

I am linking this to the following challenges:
Mami Doodles - Anything Goes
Creative Inspiration Challenge - Anything Goes
Handful of Stamps - Punch the Stress Out
Gingersnap Creations - Shades of Blue
You can see more of my projects in my Layers of Color Gallery, while you are there make sure you check out the other Design Team galleries there is so much inspiration waiting to be discovered.  You are invited to join us on our SNR Group where there is lots of fun and chatter (No surprises there I know! LOL)  There are also discounts and previews that are exclusive for the Group Members - come and join us!!

Thank you for coming and visiting with me today and for the comments and encouragement you leave me here!  I love seeing that you have visited - it makes my day!  God bless you!
{{{hugs}}}

11 comments:

  1. This votive holder is gorgeous Linda!! I love the butterfly and all the piercing. The punched edge adds such elegance.

    What an awesome message!! You are right that this verse and message is very thought provoking. May the true light show through our examples and lives. Thanks for sharing your light on each and every post my friend.
    hugs and blessings,
    Chris

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this turned out just lovely Linda :), love the paper piercing. we must have been thinking a like concerning butterflies. :)

    wonderful reflection on this verse, and so true

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a great idea to use a jar candle and I love how you pierced the vellum with the stencil from LOC!!!! Gorgeous Linda!!!!
    Hugs,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your message is so on target and the candle is wonderful! I love the details on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. STUNNING! Love the wings on the side of this votive. Just beautiful work. I'm still praying for you, and the message you gave is very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, this is be-u-ti-ful! I haven't seen pre-patterned velum, very pretty, love the dragonflies. the wings on the sides add a fabulous touch. I take to heart your words today. We, here in the USA, a country built on Christianity mind you, have lost control. I'm not sure how it happened or why we continue to let it happen, but God has been taken out of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Linda! I love the "lace-y" look at the top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, this is so pretty! I love it all done in vellum. I must try this pattern as a present for a family gift. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You wild thing you! This is beautiful, especially the piercing, to let additional light through! And the punch you used on the top is just the right touch! I like your thoughts too, plus in this heat, hiding under a bushel wouldn't be advisable! Hee hee! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful, Linda! Thanks for joining us at Gingersnap Creations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful my friend - makes me want to go home and craft, but I am here and loving my dear wee Lydia for two weeks now!!

    blessings
    M

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I read and appreciate each one - you make my day! All comments are moderated and spam deleted.
Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and by providing the comment, they have published their own personal details on this blog.{{hugs}}}