}

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Chalking a Stamped Image



These are the basics to get your chalking happening:

~White card stock for stamping your image.  I have found that some card is better than others for chalking, if they have a 'coating' of any sort, then the chalks don't adhere too well and it is TWICE as much work with less result! 

~ Blender Pens, I use the Stampin' Up ones and really love them!  Don't throw away your older ones, they are still great to use and I will show you why as we go along.

~ Cotton buds, or as many of you say 'Q-tips'  These are the best thing.  many people use eye shadow applicators, but I have found that cotton buds are perfect - I love them for this!

~ A Water Colour Pen or Pen, for adding fine detail.  I also use White Gel Pen a lot for highlights as well as Glitter pens.

~ Dimensional Magic - this is the same thing as Crystal effects.  This is to add gloss to any features - depending on the card


If you are cutting out your image, which I often do, don't do it until after you have finished, it is easier to work that way!   Okay...we are ready to start.  I start with a Cotton Bud and colour all the flesh areas.  I basically use the same technique as Water Colouring, you start with the lightest colour and applying about 3 applications, each one going a shade darker IF YOU CHOOSE!  remember you are not for definition with this layer - we are just setting a base to build on as you can see here!


I like to have shading with the clothing and start from the outside in, leaving a strip of white in the middle, again you build these layers as you go and can make the gap smaller of you need to, blending as we go....remember nothing is permanent at this stage!!  Something like this is what we are aiming for:


Okay, now we are starting with the second layer of colour...this is still done with the Cotton Bud and you can use a darker shade if you wish. I usually use the same shade for clothes and go one darker for the face, arms and legs, but only slightly darker otherwise you get a bright 'sunburnt' look - not to pretty on an image like this Gurlee Girl!  Just take your time, once you get going you will be surprised how fast chalking is....
I do each layer of colour fully before going onto the next...you should be building depth as you go.  At this stage you can rub out anything you aren't happy with, have perhaps gone over the edge or want to add some shading!!

Note - I do NOT add the colouring on the cheeks until last!


You can see now the image is starting to 'take shape' and you are getting the definition - this is where it gets exciting...the BLENDER PEN!!  I use this to add the final definition, really defining light and shade and adding those extra touches that you would like to have stand out.  this is totally a personal thing, the same as water colouring - this is where it reflects your style.  I have looked at many styles with colouring and taken what I like from each, put it together and come up with my own 'flavour.'

Once I have done this I use a pen, in this case a red one, to do any finer lines and detail eg. the swirls and detail on the shoes, the cherry on the ice cream, anything you think needs it!


Finally, I add those extra touches, such as her 'make up' starting lightly and only using a Cotton Bud  - careful here as the colour builds pretty quickly at this stage and it is easy to add too much - you don't want to be doing too much rubbing out at this stage!  Once you have used the blender pen the colours are more permanent and definitely bolder.  I add a white spot to her cheek with a White Gel Pen - it makes highlights her face.


 and here is the finished card:


A TIP FOR YOU!!  I have used new cotton buds and the newer Blender Pens for this Tutorial, but don't throw out your cotton buds and Blender Pens too soon - I love using the 'seasoned ones' and have included this photo to show you what I mean - you may want to 'brace yourself' they are not pretty but they work beautifully!!


Thank you for taking the time to have a look at this Tutorial.  I hope it has been of some help to you - don't be afraid to give it a try - it is easier than you think!  This technique can be used on digi images as well as stamped.

Tutorial by Lovely Linda

14 comments:

  1. Well done Linda :-). an easily understood tutorial.

    I don't have blender pens, but I do give my chalked pics a quick wiff of hair-spray when I am finished to 'seal' them, and that brightens the colours a bit. Had never thought or rubbing out errors, so I appreciate that tip.

    Blessings
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tutorial, Linda! You've made something that looks complicated, very easy to understand. Well done! I'll definitely apply this very useful technique!

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pheew, Linda, girl, I have been wondering for the longest how you get those colors to be so bright and rich. Now I know your secret ;D. Wonderful tutorial my friend. You go girl!!!!! Thanks for all of those tips. I think I'll have to print this one out :D, you know can't remember everything when you get to a certain age ;D;D. Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fabulous first tutorial Linda!! Great photos for each step and very informative! Thanks so much for sharing your technique. Your final card is gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Deena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Tutorial Linda. I will have to dig out my chalks for this one...Loz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh Linda your chalking is AMAZING! I love how you leave a bit of white in the middle...it add so much dimension.

    Abby:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial Linda....thanks so much for doing this and giving those of us who are "skeeerd" to use them for coloring the inspiration to give it a shot!!
    Love the results...you make it look so easy girl!
    TFS
    Hugs,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous tutorial and your colouring is brilliant!!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh WOW - this is fabulous - Linda!!! I'll have to try this soon...I would never thought that using chalk can look so awesome!!!

    Thank you for the tutorial, very easy to understand!!! Hugs ~S~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial Linda and fab finished result - love it! Can I ask please ... what are these blender pens?? I have chalks (pearlescent ones ... I just LURVE a bit of sparkle lol!!) but I ahve never come across these blender pens ... Haven't used my chalks for ages .. maybe I'll feel inspired to get them out ... .... :-)
    hope you've had a happy Hallowe'en ... still Saturday morning here sow e have got all the trick or treaters to look forward to later!!
    Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tutorial, Linda. I use to use chalks when I first started card making and they seemed bland. I never thought of using the blender pens with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful tutorial- I will have to break out my chalks and give this a go! I did not think about not using coated paper and putting down the ink and THEN blending with the blending tool.....Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful tutorial, Linda....this should get me started again just fine. Can't believe I'll be pulling my SU stamps out again...haven't used them in a couple of years!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I read and appreciate each one - you make my day! All comments are moderated and spam deleted.
Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and by providing the comment, they have published their own personal details on this blog.{{hugs}}}