}

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

MMSC Altered Frame Tutorial



I am going to show you how to make an altered frame, I have recently discovered  how easy it is and once you see it for yourself, I am sure you are going to want to try it....Before you rush off to buy one, have a look around your home for frames you can paint, my frame is recycled and one of two that I have done!  I have seen so many in the shops and thought to myself  'I can do that'...and now I have and SO CAN YOU!

You will need:

* A painted frame - with a mostly flat surface - this is much better for stamping.
* The stamp sets of your choice - I have used three from Layers of Color **
Acrylic stamps work best for this, as you can actually see where you are placing the image.
* Stazon Ink Pad
* Tim Holtz Distressing Ink Pad ( I have used Walnut stain)

** A flourish is perfect for these frames, it also acts as a great 'filler' although you want to use a number of different images,. 


Lightly sand the painted frame and then choose where you will put your images. 
 Note that Stazon does just that - Stays On! 
Start with a flourish in the top and opposite corners and work from there, this is easiest and once that first flourish is on it just comes together.
I have used the Creative Flourishes  Set from Layers of Color and added it to each corner


The Backyard Birds and smaller flourishes have been added to the other corners in StazOn - don't worry if the image is NOT perfect, this actually works  better with the look we are wanting to achieve.
Using the Distressing Ink, I have used a music image that I have,  remember we are wanting to give a fuller eclectic look rather than crowded - there is a difference!


Now it is time for sponging....with a sponge or dauber and the Distressing Ink


Just start with it light and you can add from there - I have used a Blender Pen to define some areas too, should it be needed.  There is no right and wrong here, you just add until you achieve the look you are wanting.


I have then added a RubOn and then sponged over it,  if you use a sponge or a dauber and lightly go in circular movements you will get the right look - trying to avoid definite lines where the Distressing Ink starts and stops.
Also sponge around the edges of the frame, for me, this makes a big difference.  You can see on the photo below,  I have sponged around the inside edge where the photo goes - it brings the whole look together.


Here is the finished frame - what do you think.  I know it looks like a lot of work, but it is a lot quicker than you think, it is quicker than making a card and so effective! 
I do have to add here that Distressing Ink is not permanent like StazOn, so I have not sealed the frame, it will be fine and should not fade...but will run if sealed. 


I am looking forward to hearing what think and seeing your frame when you have tried - remember all those times you have determined to make a 'homemade' gift for birthdays and Christmas. You are one step closer to doing that once you have tried this AND I know from experience you will NOT want to stop at one!!

Please come back and show us your frames and feel free to ask me any questions.

27 comments:

  1. Awesome Linda...thank you for showing us how you made this beautiful frame. Your tutorial was Wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us.
    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Linda,this is spectacular!!! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial!!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful present for someone Linda. It is sooo lovely. Thanks for the inspiring tutorial..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just stunning and I'm thinking I can do this with Cardstock and use it on the card. Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Linda! Your frame is lovely!!! Thank you soooo much for sharing this technique with us! I'm definitely going to try this! Hugs, Val

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done Linda and one thing I have done a bit of and LOVE! The LOC images are so perfect for this type of art! Thanks for showing us the inside scoop on how you do these incredible frames!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, thanks for sharing this tutorial with us! Your frame is just gorgeous and you make it look so easy! Stunning end results!
    Hugs,
    Charlotte
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great frame, a work of art and love the idea, not too hard once one knows what to do. A nice home for another treasure. Thanks Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely FABULOUS Linda! I am going to try to make one for my sister, she would just love this! tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOWZER!! Linda, this is just GORGEOUS!! What a wonderful tutorial you've put together sweetie!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A terrific tutorial from a wonderful gal! Yay Linda!

    Keep up that sword fighting! Smooches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic job (on both the frame and the tutorial)!! Thank you so much for sharing!
    ~Lacey
    www.stampandcreate.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I didn't read the entire tutorial, but this is fabulous, Linda! I've been thinking of doing this and when I do, I'll be back for the information. You have done a fantastic frame and I'm sure the directions are a easy to follow as your other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. FABULOUS, Linda! Thank you for sharing your talents! What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome - I did not realise that is could be so simple... lookout Warehouse, here I come for some frames ............

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wonderful Linda. Great effect

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely frame, Lovely Linda!! Just the right touch!! Thanks for teaching us a new trick!!

    Phyllis MMDesign Team

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, thanks for a wonderfull tutorial :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Linda.
    At first thank you very much for following my blog.
    I have looked at your blog, you have made a lot of beautifull cards. The frame is fabulous.
    Love from Wenche

    ReplyDelete
  20. Linda, Thank you so much for teaching us how to alter a switchplate! Came out fabulous! You are so Talented, thanks for being on our team! xox ~Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is gorgeous. Thank you for teaching us that.
    love Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello again, Lovely Linda! I do not see my comments from yesterday listed. I hope they are getting to you properly. Your art looks fantastic! I saw your altered frame, and it reminded me of something I made about 10 1/2 years ago that I wanted to share with you. It is from before my life in stamping, and it truly represents who I am...except I need a cross on there somewhere. I love the vintage look you gave your frame. I have 5 acrylic frames that I want to stamp for my nieces, and I was wondering what type of ink you would use on that surface. Someof the girls wil have jelly-fingers, and Mom will need to wash it down. Will you please let me know? If you do decide to answer--please let me know if you have received my comments on this wonderfully fabulous blog! Lovely Linda--your flowers are amazing, and so is your garden! I can't wait to make at least one of my frames vintage looking! I wanted you to see this altered item. Go ahead and take a look...

    http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1634575?&cat=500&ppuser=233280

    I am enjoying visiting your blog. I have been here all week. It was my first time visiting, and my dear, I didn't know where to look first. It really looks as if you are surrounded by people who love you and who truly admire your excellence in art! What a wonderful way to have a day! Enjoy each and every day!

    He IS Able,
    Traci S.

    p.s. You have email at SCS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the most amazing art! You make the prettiest stuff!!! Thanks so much for teaching me something new and making me believe that I might be able to do it too!
    LYMI Sista!!
    Hugs,
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this I will try it I have a bunch of frames around the house.TFS Hugs Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well Linda, what a great tutorial, and what a great present it would be for your Mum/aka Supernan. Maybe you can give me some tips on doing them when you come to visit. Nice to see that so many people love what you do. Luv ya.
    Mum/Lesley aka SuperNan

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful tutorial and fabulous creation!
    Hugs,
    Cabio

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I read and appreciate each one - you make my day! All comments are moderated and spam deleted.
Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and by providing the comment, they have published their own personal details on this blog.{{hugs}}}